Student Experience: Elizabeth Gomez on Fashion Lab

Elizabeth Gomez

The garment I chose for the lab project was an old t-shirt that I bought from a thrift shop. The reason I bought this t-shirts, the print really took my attention, but later I realized it was too big for me to wear it. The big print remind me off some tote bags that I seen before in photographs. So I decided to transform my t-shirts to a regular bag. First I decided to cut the edges of the print, and later sew the edges together with a white thread from the outside so people can see the match of the thread and the print, this gives the bag a more powerful look. I didn’t use a ruler to cut the outside of the print, so the cut wasn’t straight enough, so I had to redo it again. Later to close the bottom part of the bag I decided to sew it from the inside so people could not see the thread. I used the remaining fabric to create the shoulder strap, just sewing together the cut up sleeves to the top of the bag. This wasn’t my first time sewing a garment, sometimes I had to sew the buttons of my school uniform that fell off, but this is a nice experience on how to learn to make another use of clothes.

photo-4-300x224-300x224photo-3-300x224-300x224photo-1-1-300x224-300x224photo-2-300x224-300x224